CONCACAF taking legal action against Warner

 

Former FIFA vp Jack Warner insists he'll combat legal action difficult his ownership of an opulent centre of excellence in Trinidad built with FIFA cash.

The Joao Havelange centre was constructed by way of grants totalling as a lot as 15.5 million pounds from FIFA and the North American governing body CONCACAF, however it emerged two years ago that Warner was the owner of the land on which it was constructed.

CONCACAF has now filed a legal action in Trinidad, referred to as a caveat, which seeks to dam Warner from mortgaging, leasing or selling the centre.

Warner, who resigned from FIFA in 2011 after becoming embroiled in a bribery scandal, mentioned he had no intention of promoting the centre.

Warner informed Press Association Sport: "I wish to state categorically that the Centre of Excellence just isn't on the market.

"Let me also state that CONCACAF doesn't have any equitable curiosity in the Centre of Excellence and has no claims to ownership.

"If CONCACAF certainly has filed a caveat in opposition to me all I can say is that each CONCACAF and FIFA have limitless funding and so they can spend their cash as they wish if they need to do this."

Warner, an MP and former Cupboard minister in Trinidad who last 12 months fashioned a new political party, said the action was part of a political vendetta towards him by the Caribbean island's attorney common.

CONCACAF has mentioned it provided 11 million kilos in direction of funding the centre, which features a swimming advanced and health centre, a backyard sanctuary, a forty four-room resort, a theatre seating 800 individuals and a banqueting and reception hall. The 6,000-seat Marvin Lee Stadium, which has artificial turf, is also part of the centre.

Final year, Warner claimed he was personally given the money to build the centre of excellence in return for helping Sepp Blatter's election as FIFA president in 1998.

Warner has produced letters from Havelange, Blatter's predecessor, apparently exhibiting the 4 million pound FIFA loan for the centre, constructed on land owned by Warner, had been converted right into a grant.

In return, Warner says he delivered the 30 votes wanted for Blatter – at the time "probably the most hated FIFA official" in Warner's phrases – to beat Lennart Johansson for the FIFA presidency in 1998 and named the centre after Havelange.

Read The Original Article

FIFA aware of Warner reports

 

FIFA has confirmed that investigators from its ethics committee are conscious of the newest allegations of funds between former executive committee members.

FIFA's Michael J. Garcia has a history of combatting international terrorism.

 

The Daily Telegraph reported this week that the FBI is investigating funds from an organization owned by Qatari Mohamed Bin Hammam to Jack Warner and his family.

Both men left FIFA in disgrace following a 2011 corruption scandal.

A press release from chief investigator Michael Garcia was read out at a news convention in Zurich.

It mentioned: “The ethics committee is aware of the material identified in the article. As with all allegations of misconduct the ethics committee will take whatever actions it feels acceptable.”

FIFA president Sepp Blatter refused to touch upon the latest claims, including: “I am comfortable now that we now have an unbiased committee for ethics and this is now to be dealt with by this committee.”

Blatter might nevertheless make a private visit to 2022 World Cup hosts Qatar over the issue of the therapy of migrant workers.

In the meantime, FIFA's secretary normal Jerome Valcke said he hopes for positive information from this year's World Cup hosts Brazil over two stadiums, in Sao Paulo and Porto Alegre, which have experienced severe delays.

Valcke will have a gathering with tournament organisers in Rio de Janeiro on Monday and he said: “We're eighty days away from the World Cup and other people in the two areas with the principle issues – Porto Alegre and Sao Paulo – have stated that we should always receive some constructive data. The main considerations ought to disappear, and we should always really feel (we are in a) more comfortable state of affairs by next week.”

He added: “Ticket gross sales and hospitality sales are an excellent success – it's greater than we've got completed previously.”

FIFA additionally revealed it had record revenues of $1.38 billion U.S. dollars (849 million pounds) and a surplus of $seventy two million (forty three million pounds), leaving it with reserves of $1.four billion (850 million pounds).

However Valcke warned: “We nonetheless need to face crucial time and the ultimate price of the World Cup will not be but clear.”

Also, FIFA's top monetary watchdog says he'll hold a close eye on everybody in next yr's presidential election.

Domenico Scala informed The Associated Press a grant just like the $1 million Blatter awarded CONCACAF in Might 2011 may now provoke an ethics investigation.

Scala, who has chaired FIFA's modernized audit panel since 2012, says "that might not work anymore."

The Swiss industrialist cautions against candidates promising money to continental and national our bodies with out FIFA improvement committee approval.

Four years in the past, FIFA gave $one hundred forty four.four million in "extraordinary payments" from World Cup profits. Blatter's opponent, Mohamed bin Hammam, pledged to double annual grants.

Scala says "that won't be attainable" earlier than the May 2015 vote.

Potential candidates embrace Blatter, UEFA pPresident Michel Platini and former FIFA official Jerome Champagne.

Data from The Related Press was used in this report.

Read The Original Article

post

OTL: Pop Warner participation drops

Pop Warner Participation Dropping

The nation’s largest youth football program, Pop Warner, noticed participation drop 9.5 p.c between 2010-12, an indication that the concussion disaster that began within the NFL is having a dramatic impression at the lowest rungs of the sport.

In keeping with knowledge offered to “Outdoors the Strains,” Pop Warner misplaced 23,612 gamers, thought to be the largest two-year decline because the organization began maintaining statistics a long time ago. Constant annual development led to a record 248,899 gamers participating in Pop Warner in 2010; that determine fell to 225,287 by the 2012 season.

Pop Warner officers mentioned they imagine a number of factors performed a role in the decline, together with the trend of children specializing in one sport. But the group’s chief medical officer, Dr. Julian Bailes, cited considerations about head accidents as “the No. 1 trigger.”

“Except we take care of these truths, we’re not going to get previous the dropping popularity of the game and other people dropping out of the game,” mentioned Bailes, a former Pittsburgh Steelers neurosurgeon whose 10-12 months-old son, Clint, plays Pop Warner outdoors Chicago. “We need to get it right.”

The statistics, which haven’t been beforehand disclosed, are in line with declining participation rates reported in youth football throughout the nation. USA Football, a nationwide governing body partially funded by the NFL, stated participation amongst players ages 6 to 14 fell from 3 million to 2.8 million in 2011, a 6.7 p.c decline.

Pop Warner, based in 1929, is the largest youth football group on the planet; the NFL gamers union estimates that 60 to 70 p.c of all NFL players started in this system. After years of steady growth, the organization noticed participation drop 5.7 percent for the 2011 season, in response to the inner Pop Warner knowledge supplied to “Exterior the Lines.” Last year, the figures fell 4 p.c. Officials mentioned they do not have statistics for the 2013 season but count on that participation rates will likely be flat.

The decline in participation is just not reflected on Pop Warner’s web site, which boasts that “participation has steadily increased to at the moment’s report numbers,” including that “over 250,000 youths participated in Pop Warner-sanctioned football packages in 2010, and people numbers are continuing to develop.”

Representatives from Pop Warner and USA Football urged the reasons for the drop in participation had been unclear and could be attributed to a number of components. Amongst these cited were the nation’s economy and the continuing pattern of youth specializing in a single sport. Officials pointed to a survey displaying declines in participation in other staff sports, together with baseball and basketball, although dips amongst core participants were not as extreme.

The downward developments in youth football participation coincide with a collection of ominous reports about football and mind damage in the NFL. In 2005, the primary of dozens of confirmed instances of former NFL gamers with neurodegenerative illness was reported. In 2009, Congress held hearings on the NFL’s long-standing efforts to hide the connection between concussions and psychological sickness. In 2010, a league spokesman acknowledged for the primary time a connection between concussions and “lengthy-term problems.”

In early 2011, former Chicago Bears defensive back Dave Duerson dedicated suicide by taking pictures himself in the chest to preserve his mind for research. He was later diagnosed with Persistent Traumatic Encephalopathy, or CTE, a mind disease that has been linked to football.

Tony Strickland, an associate clinical professor of neurology at UCLA’s Geffen College of Medication who sits on the Pop Warner’s Medical Advisory Committee, stated he believes participation dropped “partly due to the outline of individual cases and the data on the market in regards to the incidence of CTE. If I’m a father or mother, anyone hearing that data, within the absence of other science, could be foolish not to be cautious.”

But Strickland, who’s CEO of the Sports Concussion Institute, said concerns about football and head accidents have outstripped the tempo of scientific evidence, creating unwarranted hysteria concerning the risks of taking part in football.

“I have felt that the pendulum swung means forward of the science and what we know,” Strickland mentioned.

In 2012, Pop Warner significantly reduce on the amount of tackling permitted throughout follow. This year, the group introduced a partnership with the NFL to endorse “Heads Up” football, a program launched by USA Football and designed to teach proper tackling methods to attenuate head contact.

In the coming months, Pop Warner’s Medical Advisory Committee is anticipated to take up extra rule adjustments that some officers consider might foreshadow the place football is headed, as parents and players continue to reassess the risks.

One proposal under consideration would take all linemen out of the three-level stance. Bailes, its chief proponent, said requiring players to begin upright would cut down on head-to-head collisions that may result in mind accidents.

Bailes co-authored a study in the November issue of the Journal of Neurosurgery displaying how repeated “subconcussive impacts” can lead to brain injury. One way to decrease those impacts in football, the study concluded, is likely to be to have linemen start in a “squatting position, to remove them from the inexorable, ubiquitous, gratuitous head contact on each play.”

“I really assume we have to restrict the number of head impacts,” stated Bailes, who also leads the division of neurosurgery at NorthShore Neurological Institute in Evanston, Ailing. “I believe that’s where the sport needs to go.”

What I’ve acknowledged from the beginning is that I desperately want youngsters to play sports activities; I want sports participation to go up. I simply want probably the most harmful sports for head trauma to be performed in a approach that’s protected.

- Dr. Robert Cantu

Jon Butler, Pop Warner’s executive director, mentioned the move to take linemen out of the three-level stance is “in the very early stages. The concern with a rule that sweeping is that politically it will change the game to the point where individuals get turned off. My private feeling is that that’s the place football is finally going to go. The question is how we get there.”

Strickland mentioned there must be more examine to find out if such a measure would have the desired impact. “What is intuitively a good idea may not essentially be so,” he said. “We want to ensure that any policies that we implement we will evaluate and monitor their efficacy.”

On the same time, youth football officers emphasised that they imagine football is protected relative to different sports activities.

“It is an emotional resolution for a mother or father, however statistically we are able to show that football is as protected if not safer than other sports,” stated Butler. “If you happen to take children’ actions, including bicycle-driving and skateboarding, the rate of concussion is tremendously larger in these activities.”

Dr. Robert Cantu, a neurosurgeon and concussion professional at Boston University’s Center for the Research of Traumatic Encephalopathy, has advocated for banning sort out football for children youthful than 14 because “the younger mind is way more vulnerable to the shock related to concussion.”

“What I’ve acknowledged from the start is that I desperately need kids to play sports activities; I would like sports activities participation to go up,” mentioned Cantu. “I simply want the most dangerous sports for head trauma to be performed in a approach that’s secure.”

Cantu, who serves as a senior advisor to the NFL on concussions, stated he hoped that younger children would play flag football earlier than they attain highschool.

Bailes, though, emphasised he believes the analysis reveals the youngest gamers usually are not as more likely to endure concussions as these taking part in at the highschool stage and above. He mentioned the hot button is minimizing exposure through rule adjustments at the youth degree.

“We have to assist try to morph the game where it must go,” said Bailes. “Numbers are down, nevertheless it’s a wakeup call. None of us are saying football should finish. I’m saying the other – football ought to continue.”

Read The Original Article

post

Deal done with DirecTV, Dish Network and Time Warner for Saturday’s fights

(Getty) Fox Sports 1 will launch this weekend with a 5-hour UFC show. Because of a last-minute deal, the new station will likely be obtainable on DirecTV, Dish Network and Time Warner Cable. The Los Angeles Times studies the carriers expect the channel to be obtainable in time for the launch.

[wp_admanager_pro_display_adzone id=”25″]

On many cable and satellite tv for pc carriers, FS 1 goes to take over the Pace Channel in the channel line-up. The station will function its first reside fights on Saturday, however then will even characteristic fights on Wednesday nights. It would also carry “The Ultimate Fighter.”

The station will debut with Chael Sonnen against Mauricio “Shogun” Rua in the primary occasion, in addition to Alistair Overeem vs. Travis Browne and Yuri Alcantara vs. Urijah Faber.