FIFA aware of Warner reports

 

FIFA has confirmed that investigators from its ethics committee are conscious of the newest allegations of funds between former executive committee members.

FIFA's Michael J. Garcia has a history of combatting international terrorism.

 

The Daily Telegraph reported this week that the FBI is investigating funds from an organization owned by Qatari Mohamed Bin Hammam to Jack Warner and his family.

Both men left FIFA in disgrace following a 2011 corruption scandal.

A press release from chief investigator Michael Garcia was read out at a news convention in Zurich.

It mentioned: “The ethics committee is aware of the material identified in the article. As with all allegations of misconduct the ethics committee will take whatever actions it feels acceptable.”

FIFA president Sepp Blatter refused to touch upon the latest claims, including: “I am comfortable now that we now have an unbiased committee for ethics and this is now to be dealt with by this committee.”

Blatter might nevertheless make a private visit to 2022 World Cup hosts Qatar over the issue of the therapy of migrant workers.

In the meantime, FIFA's secretary normal Jerome Valcke said he hopes for positive information from this year's World Cup hosts Brazil over two stadiums, in Sao Paulo and Porto Alegre, which have experienced severe delays.

Valcke will have a gathering with tournament organisers in Rio de Janeiro on Monday and he said: “We're eighty days away from the World Cup and other people in the two areas with the principle issues – Porto Alegre and Sao Paulo – have stated that we should always receive some constructive data. The main considerations ought to disappear, and we should always really feel (we are in a) more comfortable state of affairs by next week.”

He added: “Ticket gross sales and hospitality sales are an excellent success – it's greater than we've got completed previously.”

FIFA additionally revealed it had record revenues of $1.38 billion U.S. dollars (849 million pounds) and a surplus of $seventy two million (forty three million pounds), leaving it with reserves of $1.four billion (850 million pounds).

However Valcke warned: “We nonetheless need to face crucial time and the ultimate price of the World Cup will not be but clear.”

Also, FIFA's top monetary watchdog says he'll hold a close eye on everybody in next yr's presidential election.

Domenico Scala informed The Associated Press a grant just like the $1 million Blatter awarded CONCACAF in Might 2011 may now provoke an ethics investigation.

Scala, who has chaired FIFA's modernized audit panel since 2012, says "that might not work anymore."

The Swiss industrialist cautions against candidates promising money to continental and national our bodies with out FIFA improvement committee approval.

Four years in the past, FIFA gave $one hundred forty four.four million in "extraordinary payments" from World Cup profits. Blatter's opponent, Mohamed bin Hammam, pledged to double annual grants.

Scala says "that won't be attainable" earlier than the May 2015 vote.

Potential candidates embrace Blatter, UEFA pPresident Michel Platini and former FIFA official Jerome Champagne.

Data from The Related Press was used in this report.

Read The Original Article

Curitiba stays 2014 World Cup venue

 

FIFA has introduced on Tuesday that Curitiba will keep on the listing of host cities for the World Cup despite delays in building of the Arena de Baixada stadium.

The Arena de Baixada in Curitiba was just a shell of a ground when pictured on Jan. 21.

The Enviornment de Baixada in Curitiba was only a shell of a ground when pictured on Jan. 21.

Curitiba had lengthy been the venue which has concerned the FIFA Organising Committee more than every other, and with less than 4 months to go till Iran are responsibility to take on Nigeria on June sixteen little appeared to have modified to counsel the constructing work – which ought to have been completed by December – shall be completed at the forty two,500-capability arena. However FIFA secretary common Jerome Valcke has given his backing to the city.

Valcke and his inspection group are again in Brazil for another tour of the World Cup venues, whereas representatives of all 32 qualifying international locations have landed in Brazil for a workshop forward of the finals and he tweeted:

Last week Valcke stated those involved within the city's preparations "are seeking and finding solutions to assist them catch up and hopefully be certain that" the stadium will be able to host its four matches at the World Cup.

Valcke added in his FIFA column last week that the Brazilian authorities and officials in Curitiba and the state of Parana have been working with FIFA and the local World Cup committee to make sure "a particular metropolis when it comes to sustainability and passion for football will remain part of the FIFA World Cup lineup."

Porto Alegre, Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Belo Horizonte had all been mentioned as potential various venues for Curitiba's four matches. The opposite three video games as a result of be held in the city are Honduras v Ecuador (June 20), Australia v Spain (June 23) and Algeria v Russia (June 26). It does not have any video games in the knockout rounds.

Development has but to be accomplished on 5 of the 12 stadiums in Brazil. Arena de Sao Paulo, where the hosts will take on Croatia in the World Cup curtain-raiser on June 12, won't be completed until April.

England coach Roy Hodgson – on a tour of the venues through which his team will play – believes FIFA will ensure all the pieces is true by the time the event begins.

"FIFA and the Brazilian government has put in numerous work," Hodgson stated. "So I don't see any reasons for us technicians to doubt them."

England will tackle Italy in the heat of the Amazon in Manaus, but Hodgson rejected strategies it might be overly problematic.

"It's hot here, however World Cups are played in the summertime," he advised BBC Sport. "It was hot in South Africa [for the 2010 World Cup] and it was very hot in America in '94.

"Will probably be scorching here however that's one thing you have to come to phrases with. What we are interested in now could be getting a really feel for the slightly extra completely different, more tropical climate within the north of Brazil vis-a-vis Rio, the place we have now been and played."

Read The Original Article

Dozens arrested in new Brazil protests

 

 

Masked protesters make their feelings know in Sao Paulo. Approximately 2, 500 people marched through Sao Paulo holding banners and chanting “There will be no Cup, ” while some celebrations arranged to mark the city’s 460th birthday had to be cancelled.

"We are contrary to the millions and millions of dollars being spent for the Cup, " university student Leonardo Pelegrini dos Santos told the Associated Press news agency.

 

"It is money that ought to be invested in better health and education services and better transportation and housing. "

 

Fifteen people were also reportedly arrested in another host city, Natal, though elsewhere there were more peaceful protests – including in Rio de Janeiro, where the World Cup final will take put on July 13.

 

Sao Paulo want Breno release from prison

Breno has been offered rehabilitation by Bayern Munich and now Luiz Felipe Scolari.
Sao Paulo have called on the German justice system to release former Bayern Munich defensive player Breno from prison and allow him to leave the country in order to join them.

Breno signed a contract with Sao Paulo in December 2012. Breno, twenty-four, was sentenced to three years and nine months for arson in July 2012 right after setting fire to their house while under the influence of alcohol within September of the previous 12 months.

the particular Brazilian is currently on day time release and has taken up a role working for Bayern’s youth division.

this individual now hopes to be completely released from prison in the next few months in order to fulfil their contractual obligations in brazilian.

whilst still in prison Breno signed a contract with his previous side Sao Paulo in December 2012, and the club have now written a letter to the player’s lawyers – partly published by Bild upon Monday – calling for their release.

The letter, received simply by lawyer Sewarion Kirkitadse in December, says that Breno has to attend his first training session in Brazil in 04 or otherwise the contract will be terminated.

 

“If he can fulfil their contract, his professional existence as a footballer has been stored, ” Kirkitadse told portrait.

 

According to the newspaper, Breno has a great chance of being allowed to keep Germany.

 

“I am very happy that the end of my imprisonment is coming nearer and i can be allowed to travel to Brazil, ” Breno said.

 

Brazil creates special riot force for World Cup

SAO PAULO – Officials in Brazil have created a particular “riot pressure” to assist police management the demonstrations expected to be staged through the World Cup later this year.

Yuri Cortez/AFP/Getty PhotographsBrazil is making a riot power for the World Cup.

Colonel Alexandre Augusto Aragon, who heads the country’s National Safety Pressure, instructed the G1 Web portal that 10,000 riot troops selected from state police forces all through Brazil will be deployed in the 12 cities internet hosting World Cup matches between June 12 and July thirteen.

Violent road demonstrations broke out through the Confederations Cup in Brazil last June, with hundreds protesting against issues together with corruption and poor public services.

The Black Bloc anarchist movement has introduced plans for demonstrations through the World Cup, starting at the opening match in Sao Paulo.

Read The Original Article

post

Brazilian footballer’s Beheaded in rio de janeiro

brazilfootballer

Sao Paulo, Brazil (CNN) – João Rodrigo Silva Santos didn’t come home Monday night.

When the former professional footballer’s wife opened the door on her way to work the next morning, she found his severed head on their front step.

The head was inside a backpack, police said. Santos’ eyes and tongue had been gouged out, according to Brazilian media reports.

Player stabbed, referee dismembered over soccer quarrel in Brazil

Now police in Rio de Janeiro are investigating the grisly killing, though they haven’t said who they believe is behind it.

Santos, 35, was a forward for a number of mostly second-tier Rio de Janeiro football teams before retiring and opening a health foods store.

His death comes at a time when football fans worldwide are shifting their focus toward Brazil, which will host the World Cup in 2014.

Late last year, the country announced it was pumping $900 million dollars into its security budget to make the competition “one of the most protected sports events in history.”

World football’s ruling body FIFA had expressed concern about Brazil’s increasing crime rate, particularly in Sao Paulo.

One police official told Brazil’s O Globo newspaper that authorities are investigating whether a recent post on the store’s Facebook page could be connected to the crime. The post showed surveillance footage and asked for help catching shoplifters.

Police plan to compare the images to surveillance footage taken at the shop Monday night, chief homicide investigator Rafael Rangel told the newspaper.

The former football player was last seen Monday night, when two suspects entered his vehicle, CNN affiliate TV Record reported.

On Wednesday morning, police said they found parts of a man’s body in a river outside the city and were testing the DNA to see whether the remains belong to Santos, TV Record said.

Authorities have interviewed 10 witnesses so far in the case, police said.

According to local media, Santos’ wife, Geisa Silva, worked for the police in one of Rio’s shantytowns, but as a social worker giving swimming lessons to children, not as a policewoman.

She told investigators she did not know of any threats made against her husband, according to TV Record.

Some of Santos’ relatives and neighbors told O Globo that he didn’t have any enemies and said they didn’t know what could have motivated the attack.

Brazil boosts World Cup security budget as crime rises

Santos started his football career when he was 16 years old, and played for several Brazilian club teams. He played for the Bangu club team from 1996 to 2005, according to a biography on the club’s unofficial website.

In 1998, he played for Honduras’ Olimpia club. And in 2003 he played for Sweden’s Oster club, the website says.

The website calls Santos a “humble hero,” describing how goals he scored brought victory to another club team he joined.

According to the FutRio.net football news site, Santos left the field earlier this year to focus on his business.

The site reported that club players in Rio de Janeiro on Wednesday honored Santos with a minute of silence.

CNN’s Shasta Darlington reported from Sao Paulo. CNN’s Catherine E. Shoichet reported from Atlanta. CNN’s Kevin Gallagher contributed to this report.

Read The Original Article