Cougars’ Dickey resigns; Sampson in line?

James Dickey has resigned as coach of the Houston Cougars attributable to "private family matters," the college introduced in a press release Monday, and ESPN.com sources say Houston Rockets assistant Kelvin Sampson is being targeted as Dickey's alternative.

James Dickey

James Dickey had a 64-sixty two record as coach at Houston over 4 seasons. He cited "private family matters" in resigning.

Sampson was fired from Indiana in 2008 and hit with a 5-12 months show trigger by the NCAA after being caught making impermissible telephone calls. He has since labored as an assistant within the NBA with the Milwaukee Bucks and Rockets. Sampson has also been concerned with NBA head coaching jobs.

Nevertheless, sources near Sampson advised ESPN.com's Jeff Goodman that he misses the school sport and is fascinated within the opening. One holdup, though, might be compensation.

Sampson, fifty eight, has been a Division I school head coach at three stops – Washington State, Oklahoma and Indiana. He took Washington State to the NCAA match in 1994, then went to 11 NCAA tourneys in 12 seasons at Oklahoma – including a Closing Four in 2002 – and was at Indiana for 2 seasons earlier than being fired.

Dickey had a sixty four-sixty two document in four seasons at Houston, together with a 20-13 mark in 2012-thirteen. The Cougars had been 17-sixteen this season, together with a 3-four file in opposition to Prime 25 teams.

"This has been a troublesome decision to make," Dickey mentioned in a press release launched by the varsity. "I continually preach to my players about being an on a regular basis man, and the balance of your private and skilled life is a significant part of it.

"With that being stated, I've a family matter that requires my time and vitality, and I'll regretfully step down from my current position on the College of Houston… I would like to thank the Houston fans for his or her help by way of the years and enormously encourage them to proceed their help of this system sooner or later."

Earlier Monday, athletic director Mack Rhoades said a search for a coach would begin immediately.

"Coach Dickey just isn't only a great individual and coach however an incredible mentor for all of our pupil-athletes and whole employees," Rhoades stated in a press release. "He made so many of us in our department better. No one has worked tougher than Coach Dickey… He can be missed greatly."

 

Read The Original Article

Keith Kizer Resigns as Nevada Athletic Commission Executive Director

Keith Kizer has resigned as govt director of the NAC.

 


Keith Kizer has resigned from his place as govt director ofthe Nevada Athletic Fee.

The NAC introduced Kizer’s resignation through e mail on Friday night,according to multiple stories. Kizer will take a place with theNevada Attorney Normal’s office after his resignation takes effecton Jan. 27. The fee does not yet have a alternative forKizer, however a search is anticipated to start instantly. Kizer wasappointed as govt director of the NAC in 2006 after previouslyserving in the lawyer basic’s office starting in 2001.

““The board is grateful to Keith for his almost eight years ofdedicated service, which included the fee’s strongest yearswith regard to well being and safety and fiscal soundness. My fellowcommissioners and I want Keith all the most effective in his new function,” NACchairman Francisco Aguilar stated in an announcement released to theLas Vegas Review-Journal.

Las Vegas has been the home base for the UFC, blended martial artslargest promotion, since Zuffa purchased it in 2001. The organizationis set to return to Las Vegas on for UFC a hundred and seventy,which will happen on the Mandalay Bay Events Heart on Feb. 22.The World Collection of Fighting, which began holding events in 2012,can be based in Las Vegas.

“It’s time to move on,” Kizer told the Overview-Journal. “It’s timeto go back to being an lawyer.”

Read The Original Article

post

Tuukka Rask re-signs with Bruins for $56 million over eight years

The Boston Bruins and Tuukka Rask have finally come to an agreement as to how much and for how long he should be paid.

The verdict: a lot. For a long time.

On Wednesday, Rask agreed to terms on an extension that will pay him $56 million over next eight years. It’s max term for the restricted free agent, and if there was such a thing as max money, this might be it. At $7 million per season, Rask ties Nashville Predators’ goalie Pekka Rinne for the league’s highest cap hit among goalies, according to CapGeek.

(One assumes Glen Sather wishes this was the max contract. Henrik Lundqvist going to get more than this.)

It couldn’t have worked out better for Rask, who’s coming off a one-year deal that paid him $3.5 million in 2012-13. It was something of a show-me contract, as the Bruins set him up for a massive payout this offseason if he could prove he was the franchise goalie he appeared to be.

Prove it he did, as Rask went 19-10-5 with a 2.00 goals against average and a929 save percentage, leading the league in shutouts and finishing fifth in Vezina voting for his work during a season.

He kicked it up a notch in the postseason, leading the Bruins all the way to the Stanley Cup Final. He would likely have been their Conn Smythe winner had they managed to eke out two more wins over Chicago.

That’s the sort of season that’ll get you paid, and man alive, did it ever.

post

Pascal Dupuis foregoes free agency, re-signs with Penguins for four years, $15 million

Ray Shero continues to establish his reputation as this summer’s Oprah of extensions. Only hours after signing Kris Letang to a whopping eight-year deal, the Penguins have announced a much more reasonable four-year pact with Pascal Dupuis worth $15 million.

From the Penguins, who are excellent for disclosing the financial details in all their releases, by the way:

The deal runs through the 2016-17 campaign, and has an average annual value of $3.75 million.

Dupuis, 34, was one of the Penguins’ top offensive threats in 2012-13, ranking third on the team in both goals (20) and points (t-38), while placing first with 140 shots and a plus-31 rating. Dupuis’ plus-31 rating led the NHL, making him the first Penguins player to accomplish that feat since Ron Francis in 1994-95. His 17 even-strength goals tied for sixth-most in the NHL.

Slightly more important than all that stuff: Dupuis plays on Sidney Crosby’s line, and he’s effective there. The Penguins now have both of his 2013 linemates in Dupuis and Kunitz signed through 2017, and each for under $4 million.

Shero got great value here, especially after previous reports that the negotiations with Dupuis were going poorly enough that the winger might hit the free agent market.

He could probably have made over $4 million there, but instead he chose to take less to stay in Pittsburgh, perhaps because Shero is on a extension roll, having locked up Letang, Kunitz, Evgeni Malkin, and now Dupuis in the last few weeks. He’s got the touch.

The real question, of course, will be whether he still has it next season, when he has to fill out the rest of his lineup with $44 million already invested in just nine players.

But that’s later. For now, this is a good deal.