Tom Brady returned to observe on Thursday (USA Today Sports activities Photographs)
Several teams wrapped up their training camps on Thursday, which additionally occurs to be the first of five straight nights of preseason soccer. Four video games are on the docket tonight, including the Philadelphia Eagles and Carolina Panthers, where Chip Kelly will get an up-close have a look at Cam Newton for the first time for the reason that 2010 nationwide championship recreation.
• Someday after writhing on the ground and grabbing at his left knee, a scene that induced widespread panic within the Boston space, New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady was again at apply on Thursday. As noted by ESPN Boston, Brady wore a brace on his left knee throughout the exercise, which was a half-velocity apply in advance of Friday night’s preseason recreation in opposition to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
• New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan defended the choice to put second-round quarterback Geno Smith on the observe area so soon after injuring his proper ankle.
“I actually understand that line of questioning, but you need to additionally understand that we’re installing,” Ryan said. “We’re still within the install phase and placing in a model new offensive system. So we’re nonetheless in that set up part proper now and clearly with any quarterback, particularly a younger quarterback, we thought that he would definitely profit from getting these reps and clearly the trainers had been comfy with him being out there and so that’s why we did it. But I think those reps are helpful, especially while you’re in the install part.”
Smith won’t play towards the Jacksonville Jaguars, which may hinder his potential to wrestle the starting job away from Mark Sanchez.
• Staying within the AFC East, Miami Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin defined the decision to release veteran kicker Dan Carpenter to go along with untested rookie Caleb Sturgis.
“Nicely it’s been a contest, it’s been ongoing, we’ve been evaluating it closely,” Philbin stated. “We just felt that it was the appropriate opportunity to do it for each events. Caleb Sturgis goes to need time to practice and put together in recreation like conditions, extra sport like situations he can get in, the higher that actually was part of it. We felt prefer it was the best time for each to do it.”
• According to Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Submit-Gazette, the highest two running backs on the Pittsburgh Steelers’ depth chart exited Thursday’s observe with injuries and didn’t return. Veteran Isaac Redman suffered a stinger, whereas rookie Le’Veon Bell aggravated a knee damage.
Jay Cutler (USA Right this moment Sports activities Pictures)
• The Chicago Bears have said they won’t lengthen any player’s contract till after the 2013 season, which means quarterback Jay Cutler might hit the free agent market. If that occurs, ESPN’s Mike Sando has been told by an NFL contract negotiator that Cutler could obtain a contract averaging $20 million per season. And if that happened, the web would probably implode. However that is the going price for franchise quarterbacks, even these with no Tremendous Bowl ring (à la Matt Ryan).
• One staff that would potentially be in on Cutler in free agency is the Jacksonville Jaguars, which is able to start Blaine Gabbert against the Jets on Saturday night time. Head coach Gus Bradley expects each Gabbert and Chad Henne to get work with the first-workforce offense.
• Minnesota Vikings fullback Jerome Felton will miss the rest of the preseason after present process an appendectomy. Felton is predicted to be again and ready to play before the season-opener on Sept. eight.
• The Dallas Cowboys have extra injury problems at the guard place, Todd Archer of ESPN Dallas experiences. Ronald Leary, who fell out of the 2012 NFL draft on account of a continual knee damage, may have a knee scope on Friday that could maintain him out for a couple of weeks. The Cowboys are already with out Nate Livings, who underwent knee surgery earlier this month. Without Livings and Leary, the Cowboys could want to up their supply to veteran free agent Brian Waters.
• Denver Broncos Professional Bowl linebacker Von Miller was not at practice on Thursday as Mike Klis of the Denver Publish experiences he was meeting with the NFLPA in Washington, D.C. about his enchantment of a 4-recreation suspension. Miller’s enchantment might be held on Aug. 20 in New York, but head coach John Fox says Miller will play in opposition to the Seattle Seahawks on Saturday evening.
“Yeah, he will be again. He’ll positively play towards the Seahawks,” Fox stated.
• Matthew Barrows of The Sacramento Bee dispels the myth that current Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith, formerly of the San Francisco 49ers, has small palms:
When it involves American males, his (Smith’s) 9 three/8-inch mitts are quite massive. And he is proper across the common for NFL quarterbacks. Joe Flacco’s, for example, are 9 5/eight inches. Aaron Rodgers’ measure in at 9 three/8 inches just like Smith’s.
But things like “facts” and “measurements” and “knowledge” haven’t sunk the myth that Smith has teeny, tiny porcelain doll’s fingers because, well, as a result of it’s hilarious. Even his family thinks so.
“It is nonetheless a household joke,” Smith stated Wednesday. “My little sister nonetheless calls me ‘small arms.’ It won’t ever die. If palms come up as a subject, somebody’s going to make a crack.”