(USA Right now Sports activities Pictures)
Are you ready for Tuel Time, Buffalo Bills followers?
Bills head coach Doug Marrone delivered the sobering information Monday: Undrafted rookie Jeff Tuel will begin for the crew Week 1 against the New England Patriots if first-spherical pick E.J. Manuel’s knee isn’t healthy by then.
The just lately signed Matt Leinart — no stranger to backing up an undrafted quarterback — could be No. 2.
We know who Leinart is, all too properly. But who the heck is Jeff Tuel? This is a handy cheat sheet in case you wish to seem like you already know what you’re speaking about come Week 1:
1. Jeff Tuel did not have a Wikipedia page till Monday afternoon. As in lower than an hour earlier than this was posted. No joke. This is likely to be the starting quarterback for the Buffalo Payments, women and gents. Have you ever seen some of the ridiculous topics that do have Wikipedia entries? There’s one for “Fox Tossing”and another for “Socialist Hair,” which is not a band title, thoughts you. And, in step with the spirit of this post, there’s one for “Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo,” which apparently types a grammatically right sentence. Welcome to Wikipedia, Mr. Tuel.
2. Tuel is pronounced “TOOL,” which is precisely why we led the story off with a cutesy pun involving Tim Allen. We’re positive you will not hear too many more of those over the ensuing days and weeks.
3. Tuel went four-22 in 26 begins at Washington State. Sadly, such a record would put him among the winningest Bills quarterbacks previously decade.
4. In line with Tuel’s WSU profile page, his uncle played baseball at Duke. That likely means his uncle is sensible. And an annoying hoops fan.
5. Tuel has a Twitter account, and he has a good 6,000+ followers. That quantity is bound to go up this week, although no guarantees on what might happen to his follower whole after the Patriots recreation. Among his most notable tweets in current weeks (he’s been busy with soccer, apparently):
6. The Patriots really worked him out before the draft. And they handed on him, primarily, in favor of Tim Tebow. What in the world does that inform you?
7. Tuel joined Drew Bledsoe as the one different Cougar quarterback to start out a sport as a real freshman, starting 5 straight in 2009. However his school profession received off monitor from there, as he broke a collarbone, re-broke it a yr later, suffered an MCL sprain, had a bout with acute compartment syndrome and later suffered an ankle damage on top of that. So, you realize, the Payments favored what they saw and thought he’d match right in with their different quarterbacks.
8. On the surface, Tuel seems a bit.. bland. (He was a psychology main, for what it is value.) But there’s a captivating little story about him wanting to petition the NCAA for a fifth 12 months, with the NCAA apparently wanting him to blow the whistle on mistreatment below coach Paul Wulff’s watch. Tuel chose in opposition to each and entered the NFL, where he was subsequently left off the combine invite checklist. Appears like Tuel is getting the final snicker, for now.
9. His last faculty recreation might have been his finest: A shocking upset of rival Washington in the Apple Cup, a sport Tuel was barely wholesome sufficient to start. “This was our bowl game,” he stated at game’s end. But his NFL career might be the start of one thing much more particular — a chance to beat Tom Brady — in less than two weeks time. For now, the Bills are just glad they’ve this Tuel in their cupboard. (Yeah, we went there again.)