It’s 2014 NBA Mock draft time! One of the best drafts in years! As many teams traded to get into this first round, there are a number of strikes that still are to be decided. This site is a good resource recapping plenty of the trades. My guess on the order beneath isn’t based on where issues are now – but relatively how I assume it would end up. Issues taken into consideration: Salaries, potential free agents, needs, and evaluation from several NBA scouts. That is not a ranking of greatest gamers within the draft.
1. Utah Jazz - Andrew Wiggins, F, Kansas. You would possibly hear some Jabari Parker chatter (he’s Mormon!) however right now, it’s Wiggins. Upside, upside, upside. The place does he match in the event you preserve Hayward? You can play each.
2. Milwaukee Bucks – Julius Randle, F, Kentucky. Will instantly be their best participant. Randle and Sanders will be a pleasant tandem inside. They’ll re-shape the backcourt in the 2015 lottery – Antetokounmpo continues to be a couple of years away from being a factor.
three. Boston Celtics – Jabari Parker, F, Duke. Rumors Parker may stay. Fun storyline, I’m not buying it. If you’re a kind of conspiracy types, how about the Celtics successful the lottery? Brad Stevens, Lakers and Celtics both down … yeah, yeah, I know, it’s not rigged.
4. Philadelphia 76ers – Joel Embiid, C, Kansas. Uncooked 7-footer who picked up a basketball for the first time three years ago. An Embiid/Noel frontline blocks a whole lot of shots, provides little offense. They’d must let Spencer Hawes walk in free agency. Why not Marcus Sensible? Because MCW seems to be like a keeper. Good’s an improved shooter, however a greater match at PG.
5. Sacramento Kings – Marcus Good, PG, Oklahoma State. Smart’s a scorer and distributor within the mildew of Russell Westbrook, with practically pretty much as good athleticism. Sensible, Cousins and McLemore? You’ve obtained something good. I’m positive the Isaiah Thomas groupies won’t like this move.
6. Charlotte Bobcats – Dante Exum, PG, Australia – A lithe 6-foot-6 and only 18. Shouldn’t take lengthy to turn out to be an impression player. I like Kemba Walker (sixteen.5 ppg however solely 38% FGs), and he could be a precious reserve on this staff. The Bobcats, once more, are one of many worst scoring teams in the league, and dead final in FG shooting (forty one.1%).
7. LA Lakers – Aaron Gordon, F, Arizona. Typically in comparison with a young Blake Griffin. Insane athlete. Kobe will whip him into shape quickly.
eight. Phoenix Suns – Gary Harris, SG, Michigan State. Prolific scorer, above-average defender. Sixth man for a 12 months, then takes over after they unload Dragic’s expiring? Or is it price stashing Croatian Dario Saric right here, and getting function players later? Primary wants now look like SF/SG, assuming Bledsoe is their future at PG.
9. Philadelphia 76ers (via New Orleans) – Rodney Hood, SF, Duke. What turns into of Evan Turner? There are commerce rumors (Cleveland?) which would leave Philly with a scoring void at SF. While Duke’s Parker has the hype, Hood is quietly averaging 21 ppg, sixty six FG% and 68% 3FG, although it’s clearly early.
10. Orlando Magic – Noah Vonleh, F, Indiana – Magic have been better than anticipated. Rank in the middle of the pack in lots of NBA classes after being the worst team in the league last yr. Needs: Future PG, inside scorer, SF. Vonleh’s off to a nice begin (12 ppg, 10 ppg) and would match nicely next to Vucevic.
eleven. Dallas Mavericks – Mitch McGary, PF, Michigan. Terrific all-around expertise. Might be 22 in June. Learns how you can be a pro from Dirk, probably turns into a 18-10 man for perhaps a decade? A less athletic Chris Webber?
12. Denver Nuggets – James Young, SG, Kentucky. Brian Shaw remains to be tinkering, so it’s difficult to inform what they want. Will they unload JaVale McGee? What occurs when Danilo Gallinari returns? Don’t love Younger but, and the all of a sudden-defensive Nuggets won’t contact him until the defense improves. But he can rating.
thirteen. Toronto Raptors – Montrezl Harrell, PF, Louisville. Solely guy they’ve gone long on to this point is DeMar DeRozan. The dangerous news: DeRozan and Rudy Gay hog all of the pictures, but shoot 41% and 38% respectively. I think they’ll groom Harrell subsequent 12 months, then let Amir Johnson walk.
14. Phoenix Suns (through Washington) Dario Saric, F, Croatia – Yup, I’ve bought the Wizards missing the playoffs. With three first round picks, certain, the Suns can afford to stash somebody for a couple years. They aren’t a playoff crew in the loaded West next yr, anyway.
15. Cleveland Cavaliers – Willie Cauley-Stein, C, Kentucky. Varejao has another year left, then the Cavs could or may not pick up his possibility (plus, he’s 32 in September and can’t keep wholesome); Bynum exhibits up briefly once a week. WCS will present a good last line of protection.
sixteen. Atlanta Hawks – Glenn Robinson III, F, Michigan. Rebounding has been their early weakness, however their bench lacks pop, not less than with Lou Williams not absolutely healthy. Robinson has struggled this 12 months at Michigan, however only as a result of the Wolverines don’t have a PG. May begin as a rookie.
17. Orlando Magic (by way of NY by way of Denver) – Jahii Carson, PG, Arizona State. I’m an unlimited fan, and think he’s acquired Nate Robinson’s athletic capacity with Brandon Jennings abilities. Heir obvious to Jameer Nelson?
18. Charlotte Bobcats (through Detroit) – Nik Stauskas, SG, Michigan. Too high, proper? As famous earlier, the Bobcats can’t shoot, and Stauskas is likely one of the best shooters in the draft. Final 12 months he looked like a Kyle Korver; this yr, he feels nearer to a more explosive JJ Redick. Apologies for the white-guy comparisons.
19. Memphis Grizzlies – Doug McDermott, F, Creighton. Most likely concentrating on a SG, or a backup at SF. How a couple of shooter for the postseason when groups double Gasol or Randolph? McDermott doesn’t have the scale (6-foot-8) to play the stretch four, but man is he a lethal shooter past the arc.
20. Charlotte Bobcats (via Portland) - Adreian Payne, F, Michigan State. A third pick in the Prime 20 may imply a Euro, or maybe frontcourt assist. Their 2013 decide, Cody Zeller, is shooting a woeful 34% so far. Payne, an elite athlete for six-foot-10, 250, can be going a lot greater if he weren’t 23 at the time of the draft.
21. Phoenix Suns (via Minnesota) - Sam Dekker, F, Wisconsin. Such a very good all-round player. I’m trying ahead to when he’s free from the Bo Ryan system. Will we see Gordon Hayward-sort development?
22. Houston Rockets – Andrew Harrison, PG, Kentucky. Hasn’t appeared great early – fouls have been a problem, so has working the offense – but it surely’s an extended season, and he may simply leap into the lottery. Shooting forty seven% on FGs and 46% on 3FG. Jeremy Lin has improved his shot, but he gained’t come low-cost, which is why I feel he strikes on.
23. LA Clippers – Wayne Selden, G, Kansas. Very sluggish start for the Jayhawks, but a highly-touted shooter coming out of highschool. At this price, he probably stays in Lawrence for a yr, turns into the man if Wiggins, Embiid, Ellis transfer on.
24. Boston Celtics (by way of Brooklyn) – Spencer Dinwiddie, G, Colorado. Yeah, this is bullish on the Nets, but they’ll’t remain this dangerous in the lowly East. Dinwiddie was a late-bloomer who’s taking pictures 44% on 3FGs this season. The bigger focus than this choose will be the Celtics on the buying and selling deadline.
25. Oklahoma Metropolis – Corey Jefferson, F, Baylor. Robust participant. Offensively restricted, however a terrific athlete. Perkins is sort of carried out, Collison may be out of their value range, and Jefferson could possibly be a strong function participant in two seasons.
26. Chicago Bulls – Aaron Craft, PG, Ohio State. Hardest workforce to peg. Still have them making a run at the least by one spherical of the playoffs (barring further accidents). The East is that bad. However the draft? Heck, this team could possibly be blown up by the draft. Craft is a 1st round choose, that’s for sure.
27. San Antonio Spurs – Jordan Bachynski, C, Arizona State. Very agile, underrated 7-foot-2 senior who has made large strides in 4 seasons. His 14-11-7 blocks in opposition to Marquette this week might have been the very best sport of his career.
28. Phoenix Suns (by way of Indiana) - Dakari Johnson, C, Kentucky. 4 picks? Yup. Johnson is a undertaking with upside, probably along the traces of Daniel Orton, who came out too early, was drafted, and is now on his third workforce in three years.
29. Utah Jazz (through Golden State) – Chris Walker, F, Florida. He’s ineligible until subsequent month, however by all accounts, the 6-foot-eleven McDonald’s All-American could be very talented.
30. Miami Warmth – Shabazz Napier, PG, Connecticut. Chalmers is a free agent, and if they’re pondering of sliding Cole right into a beginning role, Napier could be an excellent backup.