Shane Vereen, protecting up (Getty Images)
In New England — and in the NFL generally — you may get away with doing a number of questionable and/or socially irresponsible issues before they kick you to the curb. HOWEVER YOU CAN’T BE A FUMBLER, Stevan Ridley. No, you can not.
Fumble once, it is a reprimand from Bill Belichick. Do it twice, they put you on the following bus to wherever the hell they despatched Laurence Maroney.
Ridley, proper now, appears to be treading very close to the Maroney line. He was off to a respectable start on Sunday at Buffalo, gaining 46 yards on his first 9 carries. However then he put the ball on the bottom with disastrous results within the second quarter, untouched by any defender. And that was the final we saw of him.
Shane Vereen ran nicely towards the Payments’ consumer-pleasant protection, ending with one zero one speeding yards on just 14 carries, including seven catches for 58. LeGarrette Blount took seven hand-offs, however did little or no with ‘em (15 yards). If Ridley continues to get the fumbler’s therapy from his head coach, Vereen clearly graduates from the flex ranks, changing into a should-start.
“I assumed Shane stepped up and did a great job for us,” mentioned Belichick in his postgame comments, following a surprisingly slender win. “We counted on him so much and he got here by for us. He obtained us down in discipline objective vary in the end, kept the ball in bounds, forced [Buffalo] to make use of one other day trip. It was a very good play, a smart play.”
And the fumbling?
“That is the NFL. You’ve got to deal with the ball better.”
While I do not actually have a clip of Belichick’s presser, I’m assuming his deadly robot laser-eyes flared crimson as he stated, “take care of the ball.” Because he’s as fumbling-illiberal as anyone has ever been.
Ridley has been placed on notice earlier than and he’s now in a fight to protect his role. If you happen to’ve invested in him in fantasy, this is not the time to shop him — it’s a long season; he isn’t a scrub. But that is definitely the time to develop a decent Plan B. In Vereen, the Pats clearly have theirs.
• Ridley wasn’t even New England’s largest concern on offense in the opener. Rookie tight finish Zach Sudfeld was barely a rumor, failing to crack the field rating (unofficially credited with an assist on Tom Brady‘s INT). You’re dropping Sudfeld for Julius Thomas. Or dropping him just for the pure pleasure of doing it. Kenbrell Thompkins appeared like an undrafted rookie (which he’s), catching just four passes on 14 targets, gaining forty two yards. I suppose you can also make the case that 14 appears within the Pats offense is a promising beginning, irrespective of the outcomes. However Thompkins didn’t appear like a man who deserves to see double-digit targets once more.
Danny Amendola battled by way of a groin damage to post a traditional Welkerian stat line (10-104-0) and Julian Edelman made some noise as well (7-seventy nine-2), forcing his method into your mid-week FAAB bidding. But this offense badly needs another dimension. Hurry back, Gronk. Brady house owners are a bit skittish.
Terrelle Pryor, avoiding all Colts (USAT Photographs)
• Terrelle Pryor principally regarded just like the Ohio State version of himself in Oakland’s opener, piling up numbers like it was a Saturday afternoon in Bloomington, not a Sunday in Indianapolis. When the early video games ended, Pryor truly led the NFL in rushing. He delivered a formidable 329 mixed yards against the Colts — 112 on the ground, 217 by means of the air. For fantasy purposes, a line like that will pay the payments.
No, the Raiders did not win, but they have been far more aggressive than most of us imagined they’d be. And so they were certainly more aggressive than a Matt Flynn-led workforce would have been. Of course it helped that Pryor was going through a lower-tier defense, however he’ll see another a kind of next week, when Oakland hosts Jacksonville. Instantly, Pryor is not merely some flier from the Brad Evans/Group Huevos™ fringe. We have to think about Terrelle a legit asset, not less than when the matchup is right. He’ll put up some ugly turnover numbers from time to time — he threw two picks on Sunday, in reality. However we won’t dismiss any dual-risk quarterback with wheels like Pryor’s.
Rod Streater, we should notice, led the Raiders in targets (eight), catches (5) and receiving yards (70), backing up the preseason experiences about his reference to Pryor. In a deeper fantasy league, he’s actually on the map.
One remaining Raiders thought: Oakland gave a pair of goal-to-go carries to Rashad Jennings within the second quarter, setting up Darren McFadden‘s 1-yard rating. The sequence obviously ended properly for DMC house owners, however no one wanted to see Jennings on the sphere, inside the 5. McFadden had an excellent-not-great day, gaining 66 whole yards, rushing for less than 2.8 per carry. He had a TD reception wiped out by replay assessment (a definite no-catch),
• I am basically on board with the whole working-backs-are-fungible factor, however it all breaks down when you get to this dude. Adrian Peterson shoulda possibly been flagged for face-planting a defenseless defender proper there. Welcome to the league, Darius Slay. You’ll solely see AP twice each year; not every week is so rough. Peterson finished his day with three scores and 111 scrimmage yards (and 4 catches, too). Nonetheless, someplace I’m certain there’s an AP proprietor who feels prefer it wasn’t enough.
In actual-life, Peterson’s three-TD effort truly wasn’t enough to overcome an embarrassing performance by Minnesota’s protection. The Lions by some means managed to realize 474 complete yards on a day when Calvin Johnson accounted for just 37. New addition Reggie Bush was a monster, dashing 21 occasions for 90 yards, catching 4 balls for a hundred and one yards and a rating. Joique Bell poached a pair of short-yardage TDs, however Reggie’s house owners really have nothin’ to complain about.
Also price mentioning: Christian Ponder did plenty of the usual Ponder-ish things, finishing with 4 turnovers and absorbing three sacks. He threw for 236 yards, 140 of which belonged to Jerome Simpson. If I had been a Greg Jennings proprietor (and I am not, wherever), I would sell low.
• In an act of criminal negligence, the Browns gave Trent Richardson just 15 touches on Sunday, even though the sport was never out of attain. I am not actually a lot of a Richardson zealot, nevertheless it’s robust to think about why that group wouldn’t discover a way to give him 20-25 possibilities.
Cleveland tight end Jordan Cameron had a mostly wonderful day, hauling in nine of his 13 targets for 108 yards and one score, beating double-coverage on the TD. He also had a cross skip off his hand, leading to considered one of Brandon Weeden‘s three picks (not an excellent throw, however Cameron did not modify). Even when Josh Gordon is again in the mix, it’s a must to imagine Cameron will see loads of targets — perhaps not perfect targets, delivered with precision. But he’ll have opportunities beneath Rob Chudzinski and Norv Turner, longtime associates to tight ends.
• Lamar Miller had a nightmarish day towards a Browns defensive entrance that wasn’t even playing at full strength (no Ahtyba Rubin). Miller rushed for under three yards — THREE — on 10 carries. And Daniel Thomas vultured a late 1-yard score. The nicest factor we will say about Miller’s day is that at the very least he wasn’t fuming after his workforce’s win, like Mike Wallace…
Wallace was asked about the lack of targets within the first half. “Ask coach,” he said. “It is not my recreation plan.”
Brian Hartline, not Wallace, had the large day in opposition to Cleveland, catching nine balls for 114 yards and a landing. He out-targeted Wallace 15 to five. If you have a problem with that, ask coach.
• The Steelers were brutal of their opener, in all of the ways you feared they may very well be. Ben Roethlisberger was sacked 5 instances, and Pittsburgh’s longest run went for just eight yards. The workforce put simply 9 factors on the board, two of which came by way of safety. They also misplaced Pro Bowl heart Maurkice Pouncey, linebacker Larry Foote and working back LaRod Stephens-Howling to season-ending accidents. When you can supply a ray of hope to Steelers fans, please do so in comments. I acquired nothin’.
• Welp, David Wilson gave us another opening week gem, full with multiple fumbles and near-tragic errors in go-safety. Of course he did. The most effective factor we are able to say about Wilson’s night is that his substitute, Da’Rel Scott, did not precisely cowl himself in glory, both. Scott allowed a short pass to doink off his hand on a possible go-ahead drive, and the ball was returned by Brandon Carr for a Dallas rating. The Giants are going to must kick the tires on varied vets this week. Or simply sign one in all ‘em, unseen.
• AJ Green was an unyielding beast at Chicago on Sunday (162 yards, 2 TDs), again propping up Andy Dalton. Rookie Tyler Eifert had a good recreation for the Bengals as effectively, catching 5 balls on as many targets, usually serving as a decent secondary option. If it weren’t for the truth that each tight end blew up in Week 1, Eifert would actually be an fascinating waiver declare.
Jay Cutler maintained radar-lock on Brandon Marshall in the Bears’ comeback win, focusing on his bestie 10 instances, finishing eight. Marshall finished with 104 yards and a go-forward fourth quarter score. But give Cutler credit score for recognizing just a few other eligible receivers, as Martellus Bennett caught an early TD pass, and Alshon Jeffery snagged five balls on eight targets.
• Andrew Luck completed 18 of 23 attempts on Sunday in opposition to the Raiders, passing for two scores and rushing for an additional. He’s not fairly a twin-risk on the level of different younger, cell QBs, however the guy has demonstrated a nose for the end zone. Final year’s speeding scores weren’t flukes. If Vick Ballard and Ahmad Bradshaw continue to split the backfield work as they did in the opener (thirteen carries to 7) then I might give Luck a shot to repeat as his workforce’s leader in speeding TDs.
Anquan, nonetheless fantasy related (USAT)
• We undoubtedly saw some low-high quality video games in Week 1, however Green Bay-San Francisco wasn’t certainly one of ‘em. That was wonderful. I’m not gonna complain that those groups had the late-sport highlight. Colin Kaepernick was sensible once more in opposition to the Packers, passing for 412 yards and three scores, gaining 22 yards on the ground. So much for all that fretting concerning the lack of Michael Crabtree.We have stated it earlier than and we’ll certainly say it once more: Kaepernick is a foul, unhealthy dude. Huge arm, nice escapability, and he’s in complete management of the field. Anquan Boldin turned back the clock to 2005, hauling in thirteen balls on 17 targets for 208 yards (plus he blocked a couple of dudes into oblivion); Vernon Davis fell into playoff mode, catching six passes for 98 yards and two scores.
Aaron Rodgers was terrific for the Pack, per his usual (333 yards, 3 TDs), and Jordy Nelson was pretty much as good as ever, if not higher. This full-extension reception was simply silly. James Jones was curiously quiet, but there is no obvious problem there. Eddie Lacy bounced back from an early fumble (and short-time period benching), ultimately breaking the plane on a 2-yard fourth quarter score. All issues thought of, a satisfying sport. More like that, please, NFL.
• The Chiefs smoked the Jaguars on Sunday, winning a 28-2 laugher. It’s best to most likely be fearful about any/all of your Jacksonville property. Let’s hope you didn’t purchase too many. Cecil Shorts noticed one million targets, but solely caught three; Maurice Jones-Drew rushed for just forty five yards. Blaine Gabbert was his typical combination of unhealthy and injured.
Jamaal Charles suffered a dented quad in KC’s win, however the harm doesn’t sound in any respect severe. When he checked out on Sunday, his team was at no danger of dropping and he’d already gained a hundred yards from scrimmage. He also scored on a short-vary carry, which lots of you appear to think he can’t (or won’t) do with a lot frequency.
• I’ll assume none of you were stunned to see Larry Fitzgerald deliver an enormous fantasy line (eight-eighty-2), given the improve he acquired at quarterback. The larger story for Arizona’s offense was the fact that multiple receivers proved helpful. Andre Roberts caught eight of his nine targets, finishing with a team-excessive 97 yards. Michael Floyd delivered eighty two receiving yards, and a catch of the day candidate (ridiculous one-hander, worth a glance). Of course the Cards still misplaced their opener, but that is only a minor footnote for the fantasy community.
As for St. Louis, properly…the Rams offense was basically the Jared Cook present, with a number of minor distractions. Prepare dinner crammed the stat sheet with seven catches for 141 yards and two scores (and nearly a 3rd). He was implausible, worthy of his 5 years of relentless hype. Tavon Austin was targeted seven occasions, catching six balls for 41 yards. Daryl Richardson dominated the backfield work (unspectacularly), carrying 20 occasions for sixty three yards, catching five passes for 33.
• EJ Manuel was something less than a mad bomber in his regular season debut, failing to attach on any move that lined 20 yards or more. But the child completed 18 of 27 throws, he protected the soccer (zero INTs), he passed for two scores, and he ran for 23 yards. It actually wasn’t an empty performance. He showed us enough to make me feel much less-horrible about Stevie Johnson‘s outlook. Loads of you are steamed about CJ Spiller‘s dud day (fifty five total yards), however let’s be aware that he had 22 touches. It isn’t as if he’s slipped again into a part-time position. Primarily based on the disgusted tweets I’ve seen from his owners, I might say there is a buying alternative here.
• If the Seahawks and Panthers would have given us a couple of more points, they’d get an even bigger blurb. That’s simply how it goes. Russell Wilson had the useful day we all expected, connecting with eight different receivers for 320 yards and a score. Somewhat surprisingly, Doug Baldwin (longtime Funston favorite) led Seattle in catches (7) and receiving yards (ninety one). Apologies to anyone who started Golden Tate on my recommendation (four-51-zero); he was simply one other face in the crowd.
• Atlanta-New Orleans wasn’t my primary early watch, but every moment I caught was entertaining. No shock to see both Drew Brees and Matt Ryan high 300 yards, with all the usual suspects concerned (Julio, Gonzo, Colston, Graham). Roddy White performed via his ankle harm, though he was uncharacteristically quiet. Harry Douglas led Atlanta in receiving yards (ninety three), while Steven Jackson delivered 122 scrimmage yards on sixteen touches. Sean Payton adopted by on his preseason commitment to run the ball, distributing 26 carries to his three-man committee. Mark Ingram was notably ineffective, with just 11 yards on nine carries.
Of course Lamar Miller dreams of days like that, so it’s all relative.
PRIORITY CHOOSE-UPS FOR WEEK 2
TE Julius Thomas, Den (at NYG)
WR Marlon Brown, Bal (vs. CLE)
QB Terrelle Pryor, Oak (vs. JAC)
WR Rueben Randle, NYG (vs. DEN)
WR Rod Streater, Oak (vs. JAC)
WR Julian Edelman, NE (vs. NYJ)
RB Joique Bell, Det (at ARI)
WR Andre Roberts, Ari (vs. DET)
RB Knowshon Moreno, Den (at NYG)