Richie Incognito was interviewed on Saturday. (FOX)
In an interview with Fox Sports’ Jay Glazer that aired Sunday morning, suspended Dolphins guard Richie Incognito mentioned his controversy with tackle Jonathan Martin was not a bullying situation but as an alternative was an accepted a part of the crew’s locker room tradition.
To show that, Incognito said Martin sent him a shocking textual content message per week before “all this went down” that declared Martin would murder Incognito’s family.
But Incognito also mentioned he regretted utilizing racial epithets against Martin.
“All these items popping out, it speaks to the tradition of our locker room, it speaks to the culture of our closeness, it speaks to the tradition of our brotherhood,” Incognito told Glazer.
Dolphins harassment case
Newest updates from the Martin-Incognito scenario
“And the racism, the dangerous words, that’s what I regret most, however that’s a product of the surroundings and that is what we use on a regular basis.”
Here is what we discovered from the interview:
- To give proper context to the way they communicate, Incognito mentioned that a week before “all this went down”, Martin texted him the message, “I will murder your entire f’ing household.”
- “Did I think Jonathan would murder my family? Not one bit,” Incognito said. “I knew it was coming from a brother, coming from a good friend, coming from a teammate. That places into context how we talk with one another.”
- Additionally this on Incognito’s racially-tinged message: “I did not intend to harm him. I was going for, ‘Hey, I have not seen my buddy. I wish to shock him.’ When the words aren’t put in that context, I perceive why numerous eyebrows get raised. But folks do not know the way Jon and I talk with each other.
- Incognito was surprised at Martin’s actions. “Jon never confirmed indicators that football was attending to him, that the locker room was attending to him,” Incognito mentioned.
- He allowed Glazer to take a look at his phone after the interview, and Glazer stated that, previously 12 months, the 2 have shared 1,142 text messages with each other, lots of which shared the identical form of vulgarities.
- A day after Thursday’s Dolphins sport, Incognito stated the 2 communicated through textual content and Martin mentioned the allegations against Incognito weren’t coming from him. One textual content message from Martin learn: “Wassup man? the world gone crazy. LOL. i’m good tho. Congrats on the win.”
- As for what Incognito would say if Martin – who Incognito refered to as his best good friend on the staff – was sitting subsequent to him. “I might give him a big hug.We’ve all been by so much,” Incognito said. “I would be like, ‘Dude, what is going on on? Why didn’t you come to me?’ If he were to say that you took it manner too far, that you just hurt me, I might apologize and I’d aplogize to his household. I never meant it that way.”
- As for whether Incognito is racist: “I am not a racist. To judge me by that one phrase is flawed. [But] it’s by no means acceptable for me to use that phrase, even when it’s good friend to good friend on a voice mail.” Alternatively, Incognito additionally said the n-word is used in the locker room, including by Martin. “My actions had been coming from a spot of love,” Incognito mentioned. “Regardless of how dangerous or vulgar it sounds, that’s how we talk. That’s how our friendship was.”
- Incognito apparently claims he did not do something improper and that he was Martin’s most ardent defender. “This is not a difficulty about bullying,” Incognito said. “This is an issue of my and Jon’s relationship. You’ll be able to ask anyone in the Miami Dolphins locker room who had Jon Martin’s again the absolute most and they’ll undoubtedly inform you me.”
Whether he really believes that, the NFL will do its finest to investigate your complete episode. As CBS Sports activities’ Jason La Canfora reports, the investigation, led by effectively-recognized attorney Ted Wells, already has begun.
Writes La Canfora: “Wells, according to sources, has a prolonged list of interview topics and plans to be meticulous and diligent as he probes broader points moreover simply the inter-private dynamics between Martin and Incogntio, including the larger locker room tradition there, how pervasive problems with bullying and harassment could be, and what function, if any the teaching staff, management, and ownership could have performed – implicit or complicit – in the team’s dealing with and management of office points.”