Clint Chelf (10) and Oklahoma State have received seven straight since a loss at West Virginia on Sept. 28.
Ronald Martinez/Getty Images
Week 13 Rewind
On Saturday night, 9-1 Oklahoma State confronted an undefeated Baylor staff that came in averaging 61 factors per game. The Cowboys received forty nine-17, with 14 of the Bears’ points coming nicely after the outcome had been decided. It was with out question one of the crucial impressive victories by any group this season, maybe topped only by Florida State’s fifty one-14 win at Clemson on Oct. 19.
On Sunday, when the brand new BCS standings were released, the Cowboys were ranked seventh, behind three other one-loss groups (Auburn, Missouri and Clemson). None of these squads has a win remotely of the identical caliber as Oklahoma State’s rout of Baylor. Heck, Clemson has not crushed an opponent at present ranked within the High 25. However the Tigers are ranked sixth as a result of, well, they’ve been slotted ahead of the Cowboys all yr. Why change issues now? That’s how polling has at all times labored within the BCS era.
The pecking order of one-loss teams does not seem particularly important in 2013, because the three nationwide championship contenders (Alabama, Florida State and Ohio State) are undefeated with simply two weeks to play. If Auburn, at the moment No. 4, knocks off the Crimson Tide in the Iron Bowl subsequent Saturday, the Tigers would be the undisputed kings of the one-loss bunch.
But the proper placement of a team like Oklahoma State could possibly be extremely vital presently next yr, when the game strikes to a four-team playoff. By then, a range committee could have changed pollsters and computer systems because the evaluators of choice, and if it does what it’s alleged to, it is going to doubtless treat a team such because the Cowboys a lot otherwise than does the BCS.
“I feel you have to take a look at energy of schedule, after which you’ve got to have a look at wins – if the wins had been dominating versus quality opponents,” Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy said on Sunday. “You don’t have a look at what Oklahoma State’s rating was against a staff that is not ranked. You take the conference wins versus groups which are ranked. And you see if they dominated those teams.”
The Cowboys are uncommon in that they dramatically reinvented themselves halfway via the season. Clint Chelf, the quarterback who torched the Bears by completing 19-of-25 passes for 370 yards and three touchdowns on Saturday, didn’t turn into the complete-time starter until the seventh sport of the season in opposition to Iowa State. That is the same week that backup running again Desmond Roland moved into the starting lineup and promptly rushed for 219 yards. Oklahoma State averaged 26 factors in its first three Large 12 contests. Since then it is averaging 47.eight.
MANDEL: Oklahoma State offers Baylor painful does of BCS actuality
After all, the early-season version of the Cowboys is the one which suffered the workforce’s lone defeat, a ghastly 30-21 loss at West Virginia (now four-7) on Sept. 28. The Mountaineers losing document actually distinguishes them from the foes that knocked off Auburn (8-three LSU), Clemson (11-zero Florida State) and Missouri (9-2 South Carolina). It is another hallmark of the standard voter methodology: Groups are judged primarily based extra on the quality of the opponents to whom they’ve misplaced than the standard of those they’ve crushed.
“That happens throughout the country,” mentioned Gundy. “Once you lose early in the season to a staff you should not, individuals move on with votes. It is just type of the best way it is.”
There, too, it is sensible to wonder if the selection committee would possibly function in a different way. Just because the NCAA basketball committee takes components like injuries and personnel modifications into account when assessing a staff’s résumé, college football’s playoff committee is perhaps inclined to view Oklahoma State’s loss to West Virginia as an aberration in gentle of the Cowboys’ play since their lineup overhaul. That is to not say the sport never occurred. It did. But discerning evaluators would possibly recognize that the outcome is not representative of the present Oklahoma State team.
Wisconsin (9-2) is another program which may profit from the brand new system. Anyone can see that the Badgers, winners of six straight, are much better than their No. 15 ranking in the latest BCS standings. They boast the nation’s sixth-ranked defense and eighth-ranked speeding assault. However Wisconsin is a two-loss group, and pollster coverage dictates that the Badgers should keep in two-loss purgatory.
The selection committee, on the other hand, would know that one of those two defeats involved a Pac-12 officiating fiasco that prevented Wisconsin from making an attempt a game-winning area objective at Arizona State on Sept. 14. Nobody ought to rely the Sun Devils 32-30 victory as a Wisconsin win. Who knows if the kicker would have made it? But the committee might take the way during which the sport ended into consideration when evaluating the Badgers, no less than giving them credit for enjoying the Pac-12 South champs to the wire on their house turf.
Finally, Saturday’s slate of video games offered a stark window into arguably the largest concern the committee has an opportunity to account for – the huge discrepancy in scheduling policies between numerous conferences.
On the third-to-final weekend of the season, top-ranked Alabama hosted Chattanooga and second-ranked Florida State faced Idaho. Top-10 teams Clemson and South Carolina played The Citadel and Coastal Carolina, respectively. As I wrote last yr presently, scheduling late-season video games towards inferior opponents is a brilliant transfer for those SEC and ACC teams as a result of they do not get punished for it beneath the current system. At this level within the 12 months, when everyone seems to be banged up and with season-ending rivalry and conference title games looming, it’s good to take a week to rest while hoping that other contenders lose. In actual fact, that’s exactly what occurred on Saturday.
For the third straight season, an undefeated Large 12 crew misplaced a convention recreation on the highway in late November. Is it a coincidence that the conference hasn’t positioned a team within the BCS championship since it expanded to a nine-recreation league schedule? Additionally this weekend, Oregon fell to Arizona forty two-sixteen in an end result that dashed the Ducks’ Rose Bowl hopes. The Pac-12 not only plays 9 league video games in addition to a title game, however it additionally mandates that its members play nothing but convention video games down the stretch (the league makes an exception for USC and Stanford’s annual matchups with Notre Dame) to increase TV interest.
Assume Oregon coach Mark Helfrich would have preferred to have seen Nicholls State – the Duck’s opponent in Week 1 – someday this month to relaxation hobbled quarterback Marcus Mariota? Nick Saban would nod his head sure.
There is no simple answer for this subject, as conferences are free to dictate their very own scheduling insurance policies. But a committee may be aware of the fact that the Pac-12 has some pretty good groups which have cannibalized one another. If the current rankings system were in place subsequent season, Clemson – which had its finest win in Week 1 towards Georgia (now 7-4) – would have a greater shot on the playoff than Stanford, despite the latter’s wins over 9-2 Arizona State (which it’ll face again), 9-2 Oregon and 8-three UCLA. That is because the present system penalizes unhealthy losses (see Oklahoma State-West Virginia) more than it rewards impressive wins (Oklahoma State-Baylor).
That may change in 2014.
Heisman image unclear after a number of contenders stumble
With just two weeks of games remaining, the Heisman Trophy race is principally back to square one.
Three gamers widely considered among the many top 5 heading into Saturday – Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel, Oregon’s Mariota and Baylor’s Bryce Petty – likely noticed their hopes extinguished. For the second consecutive season, LSU coordinator John Chavis’ defense proved to be Johnny Football’s Kryptonite, holding the Aggies’ quarterback to sixteen-of-41 passing for 224 yards, with two interceptions, in a 34-10 rout. Mariota, already lagging within the Heisman hunt, threw his first two interceptions of the year in the Ducks’ most lopsided loss since 2008. And Petty, in the Bears’ biggest recreation of the season, did not lead their previously potent offense to a landing till the fourth quarter of a 32-point defeat.
In the meantime, Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston, ostensibly the runaway favourite, is presently the topic of a legal investigation for an alleged sexual assault. Hopefully most voters will wait to cross judgment till all information within the case are identified. Winston’s status will change into clearer once a prosecutor in Tallahassee decides whether to cost the quarterback, which might end his season (Florida State does not permit student-athletes who’ve been charged with a felony to play until the charge has been resolved and all conditions for reinstatement have been met).
With all that in mind, this can be the time for voters to pay more consideration to a few below-the-radar candidates – and to remember there’s no rule stating the Heisman has to go to a quarterback.
STAPLES: LSU’s protection delivers classic performance in stifling Texas A&M
Begin with Boston Faculty working back Andre Williams, whose recent tear has vaulted him into rarefied air among players at his position. On Saturday, he carried 32 times for 263 yards and two touchdowns within the Eagles’ 29-26 win over Maryland, his third straight game with 260-plus speeding yards and his fifth efficiency with 200 yards or more on the season. Williams (2,073 yards) grew to become the primary FBS operating back since Connecticut’s Donald Brown in 2008 to crack the sacred 2,000-yard mark – and he nonetheless gets to play at Syracuse subsequent weekend and within the Eagles’ eventual bowl recreation.
Arizona’s Ka’Deem Carey (1,559 yards) ranks a distant second to Williams in speeding, however he’s gained at the very least one hundred yards in every recreation he’s played. On Saturday, he notched a staggering 48 carries for 206 yards and four touchdowns in the Wildcats’ upset of Oregon.
For a second straight Wednesday night, Northern Illinois quarterback Jordan Lynch reminded viewers why he is the Johnny Football of the MAC. He rushed 28 instances for 161 yards and three touchdowns and went 17-of-22 for 202 yards in an essential victory at Toledo. On the season, he is rushed for 1,434 yards and 17 scores and thrown for 2,148 yards with 21 touchdowns and five interceptions. Those numbers are eye-popping – but so, too, are those of Fresno State’s Derek Carr, who lit up New Mexico on Saturday for 549 yards and 7 touchdowns. Carr’s season line now stands at 3,948 yards with 39 scores and four picks.
And at last, in my annual push for a defensive candidate, enable me to present Pittsburgh defensive tackle Aaron Donald. On Saturday towards Syracuse, the standout registered 9 tackles (eight solo), three.5 tackles for loss and a blocked additional level that finally proved the distinction in a 17-sixteen win. On the season, Donald now has 26 tackles for loss (greatest within the nation), 10 sacks, sixteen quarterback hurries and 4 pressured fumbles. For perspective, 2009 Heisman finalist Ndamukong Suh of Nebraska had 24 tackles for loss, 12 sacks, 26 hurries and two pressured turnovers.
Realistically, none of these names will take dwelling the trophy, but Williams and Lynch in particular deserve invitations to New York. If Winston does develop into persona non grata, voters can at all times break open the AJ McCarron “in case of emergency” glass.
Jerick McKinnon (1) and Georgia Southern racked up 429 speeding yards in Saturday’s upset of Florida.
Michael Chang/Getty Images
Georgia Southern stuns reeling Florida within the Swamp
Georgia Southern is a perennial FCS contender, reaching the NCAA semifinals in every of the past three seasons. In March, it accepted an invite to maneuver to the Sun Belt, touching off a two-yr FBS transition period that got here with a worth: The Eagles would be ineligible for the postseason this year.
Because it turned out, Georgia Southern wasn’t playoff caliber; it went 4-4 in Southern Conference play and seven-four overall. However on Saturday, the Eagles pulled off an even more important feat – they upset conventional SEC energy Florida 26-20 for the school’s first win over an FBS program in 21 tries.
“This recreation was at an ideal time in our season,” Georgia Southern coach Jeff Monken stated on Sunday. “To go down there and win like that’s one thing these youngsters are going to remember for the rest of their lives. There’s so many different groups at Georgia Southern that left a legacy by being a playoff crew, or nationwide championship crew. This crew wasn’t going to have those alternatives, however they’re now the first workforce in school history to beat an FBS opponent. This is one thing actually special.”
ELLIS: Georgia Southern’s win might spell the top for Will Muschamp at Florida
Within the customer’s locker room after the sport, Monken (the cousin of Southern Miss coach Todd Monken) stood in entrance of his gamers and stated: “You guys perceive what you did?” What they did was stick the latest dagger into the abdomen of Gators followers, who are already suffering through their worst season since 1979. Florida’s embarrassment solely increases strain on athletic director Jeremy Foley to tug the plug on third-year head coach Will Muschamp, who Foley lately backed with “a thousand percent” confidence. With Florida State coming to town this week, the Gators, a BCS bowl crew final year, are all however assured a four-8 finish.
Florida’s rash of accidents this season has been effectively documented. However, the Eagles have endured similar exhausting luck. “No one tops us” in the harm division, stated Monken, who famous that his group has suffered 19 season-ending injuries since preseason camp. That didn’t cease the Eagles – which employ the triple-option (Monken is a protégé of Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson) – from working the ball down the Gators’ throats. They attempted just three passes (finishing none) but rushed for 429 yards, essentially the most by a Florida foe since Nebraska in the 1996 Fiesta Bowl.
This isn’t the primary time Monken’s offense vexed an SEC opponent. In 2011, Georgia Southern scored probably the most points (21) of any workforce that performed that year’s eventual nationwide champion, Alabama. Maybe that’s why the Eagles performed with such confidence in Gainesville.
“Our guys at Georgia Southern, once they play a football recreation, they anticipate to win the game, regardless of who it’s,” said Monken. “We’re outmatched, we’re outsized – athleticism, speed, there isn’t any comparability between the 2 teams. It is simply the guts these guys played with.”
Florida followers solely want they may say the same about their group.
Present BCS forecast
Every week, I will replace my projected BCS lineup (as necessary) based mostly on the newest week’s games. Here’s my current edition:
Title game: Alabama vs. Florida State
Rose: Ohio State vs. Stanford
Fiesta: Oklahoma State vs. Northern Illinois
Sugar: Auburn vs. UCF
Orange: Clemson vs. Wisconsin
If Oklahoma State beats Oklahoma in two weeks, it will lock up the Massive 12’s berth in the Fiesta Bowl. If that happens, the Cowboys may get a different opponent than previously anticipated. Northern Illinois jumped Fresno State within the newest BCS standings. The Huskies now have the inside monitor for the ultimate at-giant spot.
I originally intended to have projected eleven-1 Baylor as an at-massive over a two-loss Large Ten staff – I even tweeted it late on Saturday – however I am reversing course. Sure, Wisconsin (which, at No. 15 in the standings, is one spot away from eligibility) and Michigan State have greater fan bases, but more pertinently, the Massive Ten has a contractual relationship with the Orange Bowl starting subsequent 12 months. Politics all the time win within the BCS.
If this were 2014..
Every week for the rest of the season, I will show what the brand new huge-six bowl lineup (together with playoff matchups) would hypothetically appear to be if the brand new postseason format were already in place. For this train, I will use the current BCS standings in place of the forthcoming selection committee’s rankings.
Sugar: No. 1 Alabama (SEC champ) vs. No. four Auburn (at-massive)
Rose: No. 2 Florida State (ACC champ) vs. No. three Ohio State (Large Ten champ)
Orange: No. 5 Missouri (SEC/Large Ten/Notre Dame) vs. No. 6 Clemson (ACC substitute)
Cotton: No. 7 Oklahoma State (displaced Huge 12 champ) vs. No. eleven Michigan State (at-giant)
Fiesta: No. 8 Stanford (displaced Pac-12 champ) vs. No. 9 Baylor (at-massive)
Chick-fil-A: No. 10 South Carolina (at-giant) vs. No. 14 Northern Illinois (Group of Five)
OKAY, so this week’s train might not be altogether reasonable, seeing as Alabama and Auburn play on Saturday. Nonetheless, in the new system, if the Crimson Tide received by an in depth margin and the committee nonetheless believed that Auburn was the fourth-best group a week later, there’s technically nothing prohibiting them from staging a playoff rematch.
It is also fascinating that the rankings work out such that the Orange Bowl’s two contractual obligations – the highest-ranked ACC crew and highest-ranked from team among the many SEC, Massive Ten and Notre Dame – unintentionally give that sport a matchup of No. 5 vs. No. 6.
Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray suffered a torn ACL in the second quarter of a victory over Kentucky.
Mike Zarrilli/Getty Photos
Spreading the field
• Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray’s prolific but snake-bitten career came to a sad end on Saturday, when he suffered a torn ACL on Senior Day towards Kentucky. Murray made 51 starts and holds SEC records for complete offense (thirteen,562 yards), completions (921) and touchdowns (121), but he is had dangerous luck: His tipped move ended last yr’s SEC title game, his receivers have gone down with a rash of injuries and he was on the improper finish of last week’s miracle finish at Auburn. Hopefully, Murray will likely be remembered more for his tremendous play than for the Dawgs’ heartbreaking losses.
• Arizona State (9-2, 7-1 Pac-12) lastly buried its long history of not-prepared-for prime-time moments with a division-clinching 38-33 win over UCLA. The Solar Devils got here near blowing a 35-13 halftime lead, but their protection, which sacked Bruins quarterback Brett Hundley nine instances, squashed UCLA’s last-minute drive. ASU also overcame a sixteen-carry, 86-yard efficiency from two-means sensation Myles Jack. “That is essentially the most spectacular show of heart by a crew that I’ve ever seen,” mentioned Arizona State coach Todd Graham.
The Solar Devils will face Stanford (9-2, 7-2) in the Pac-12 championship sport on Dec. 7, and because the conference’s lone remaining staff with just one league loss (to the Cardinal on Sept. 21), they might get to host the contest with a victory subsequent week over Arizona.
ELLIS: Arizona State outlasts UCLA to lock up Pac-South; late Snaps
• Needing to win out to seize the SEC East, Missouri (10-1, 6-1 SEC) deftly dealt with a troublesome trip to Ole Miss (7-4, three-4). The Tigers managed a 24-10 victory over the Rebels from the get-go. Finish the job towards Johnny Manziel and Texas A&M subsequent week, and Mizzou will head to Atlanta in simply its second season in the league. “We all know our again is towards the wall right now,” stated extensive receiver L’Damian Washington. “The phrase ‘management your personal future’ is form of getting irritating, but we all know what’s at hand.”
• Oklahoma inevitably righted itself simply when doubts started to arise about Sooners coach Bob Stoops. Filling in for the injured Blake Bell, quarterback Trevor Knight sparked a previously stagnant offense, whereas operating back Brennan Clay carried 31 times for a profession-excessive 200 yards. Oklahoma (9-2, 6-2 Big 12) routed Kansas State 41-31. Along with his 158th career victory, Stoops passed Barry Switzer for probably the most wins in school historical past, and he did it in opposition to mentor Invoice Snyder.
• Wisconsin (9-2, 5-2) is associated primarily with its powerful speeding game, however its defense can be playing at a particularly high stage proper now. Following a 20-7 win at Minnesota (eight-3, four-3) by which the Gophers’ solely points got here on a choose-six, linebacker Chris Borland (12 tackles, one forced fumble, two recoveries) and the Badgers’ protection have not allowed a landing in their previous three Huge Ten games. “That is the most underrated football group in the country,” Minnesota coach Jerry Kill mentioned of Wisconsin.
• Nebraska coach Bo Pelini isn’t making life easy for the directors who will quickly determine his future. The Cornhuskers (8-3, 5-2 Big Ten) pulled out yet another dramatic victory on Saturday, edging Penn State 23-20 in additional time. Ron Kellogg III, who threw the sport-winning Hail Mary in opposition to Northwestern on Nov. 2, as soon as once more steered Nebraska after Tommy Armstrong went out with an ankle damage. The Huskers overcame a pair of pricey turnovers within the recreation. Pelini has an opportunity to reach nine wins for the sixth straight season on Friday against Iowa (7-4, four-three).
• The Hawkeyes will visit Nebraska recent off a 24-21 comeback win over Michigan by which the Wolverines’ beleaguered offense managed just 158 total yards, but led 21-7 at one level on account of 4 Iowa turnovers. In the end, quarterback Devin Gardner’s fumble on a last-minute drive sealed the result. Requested whether Gardner has misplaced confidence, Michigan coach Brady Hoke stated, “Yeah, he probably has.” Not exactly an encouraging sign heading into this week’s showdown with undefeated Ohio State.
• Duke (9-2, 5-2 ACC) tied a school document by reaching the 9-win mark for the first time since 1941 with Saturday’s 28-21 victory over Wake Forest (4-7, 2-6). All that is left between the Blue Devils and their first trip to the ACC title game is a date with rival North Carolina – which will not be easy. The Tar Heels (6-5, 4-3) have won five in a row and scored eighty points in three quarters against Previous Dominion this weekend, prompting the colleges to shorten the fourth quarter to 10 minutes.
• Redshirt freshan quarterback Cyler Miles made his first begin instead of an injured Keith Worth, but the Huskies’ (7-four, 4-four Pac-12) punishing dashing assault keyed a sixty nine-27 rout of Oregon State (6-5, four-4). Three Washington backs – Bishop Sankey (23 carries, 179 yards, three touchdowns), Deontae Cooper (11, 166 and two) and freshman Dwayne Washington (11, 141 and two) – topped the one hundred-yard mark.
• Vanderbilt (7-4, 4-4 SEC) continued its latest hex over Tennessee (four-7, 1-6) by thwarting the Vols’ bowl hopes with a come-from-behind 14-10 victory. On the Commodores’ sport-profitable drive, replay officials overturned an obvious fourth-and-inches stop, which set the stage for quarterback Patton Robinette to faux a bounce pass and run for a five-yard landing with sixteen seconds remaining. Vandy is on the verge of a second consecutive eight-win regular season; Tennessee is now assured a fourth straight losing campaign.
• Michigan State (10-1) clinched its second Large Ten Legends Division title in three years with a 30-6 rout of Northwestern (4-7). In two weeks, the nation’s No. 1 defense will meet the nation’s No. three group (Ohio State) in Indianapolis.
ELLIS: Michigan State routs Northwestern to win Legends Division; early Snaps
• Cincinnati (9-2) won its sixth straight recreation with a 24-17 victory over Houston (7-four). The Bearcats maintain out slight hope of sharing the American Athletic Convention title.
• Washington State will go bowling for the first time since 2003. Mike Leach’s much-improved Cougars (6-5) topped Utah (4-7) forty nine-37.
• Stanford’s 63-13 blowout of Cal marked its most lopsided win within the rivalry’s history. The Bears’ 1-11 season is mercifully over.
• Illinois (4-7) ended its 20-recreation Big Ten losing streak by edging Purdue 20-sixteen.
• Connecticut (1-9) lastly earned its first win of the season, rallying from a 21-0 deficit to beat Temple, 28-21.
• East Carolina’s 42-28 win over NC State gives the Pirates victories over each the Wolfpack and Tar Heels for the primary time in the identical season.
• Finally, North Dakota State quarterback Brock Jensen notched an FCS-record forty fourth career win in a 24-three victory over New Hampshire.
Chris Petersen’s Boise State team fell to 7-four (5-2 MWC) after a 34-31 overtime loss at San Diego State.
Smaller story, however I’m sure you’re following it
Boise State was considered such an necessary addition to the Mountain West that the convention carried out special guidelines last year to appease the school when it practically left for the Big East. Boise obtained to keep the rights to its house television broadcasts, and a new income distribution method was devised that also figured to learn the Broncos.
However an interesting thing has occurred in the three seasons since Boise left the now-defunct WAC. It’s proven mortal. On Saturday, San Diego State (7-four, 6-1 MWC) topped the Broncos (7-4, 5-2) for a second straight yr. The Aztecs won 34-31 in additional time after Broncos kicker Dan Goodale missed one more sport-successful discipline purpose try at the end of regulation. (Is it a curse?)
The loss will likely price Boise its lengthy-assumed look within the inaugural Mountain West title sport. If Utah State (7-four, 6-1) wins its finale against 5-6 Wyoming, the Aggies – despite dropping star quarterback Chuckie Keeton to a knee damage early within the season – will win the Mountain Division and earn a Dec. 7 date with 10-0 Fresno State.
RICKMAN: Between the Hashes: The very best, worst and weirdest of Week 13
The Broncos have now lost four Mountain West games in three seasons, double the number of conference losses coach Chris Petersen sustained in his five seasons (2006-10) within the WAC. Thoughts you, these 4 defeats have all been incredibly shut, with a combined margin of just seven factors. But Boise by no means used to permit its conference opponents get within hanging distance; now, that’s happening with some sense of regularity.
“It’s kind of heartbreaking as a result of we had a lot of excitement about this year,” tailback Jay Ajayi told the Idaho Statesman.
Boise lost beginning quarterback Joe Southwick to a damaged ankle in October. His substitute, Grant Hedrick, struggled on Saturday night time whereas main the Broncos to a season-low 297 yards of total offense. And San Diego State isn’t any pushover. It came within a blocked discipline aim of ending Fresno State’s BCS hopes on Oct. 26 and has not misplaced one other conference game. Out of convention, however, the Aztecs misplaced to FCS Jap Illinois and Oregon State and obtained crushed at Ohio State on Sept. 7. That’s essentially the most troubling part for Boise: It’s nearly eradicated from winning a generally terrible league. San Jose State’s residence loss to Navy on Friday dropped the Mountain West’s nonconference document to a brutal 19-27 in 2013.
Petersen had a particular run with Kellen Moore, and he is solely a yr faraway from an eleven-win marketing campaign. But he also has experienced loads of turnover on his coaching staff, and his new conference shouldn’t be as robust as it was when Boise joined. The topic comes up yearly, however this time it takes on a different tenor: With USC and doubtlessly Texas, Nebraska and even Florida’s jobs coming open, does Petersen take the chance to bolt the Broncos? Or will he stick round to attempt to recapture that 2006-eleven glory?
Daniel Rodriguez: A second to remember
Clemson’s 25-yr-outdated walk-on receiver, a Purple Coronary heart and Bronze Star Medal recipient for his service in Afghanistan and Iraq, caught his first career touchdown towards The Citadel.
Florida: A second to overlook
Losing at home to an FCS foe towards the tip of a nightmare season didn’t deter the college from proceeding with its weekly “All-Access” characteristic.
Mini-previews for three of Week 14‘s huge video games:
• Ohio State at Michigan, Saturday (Midday ET): The historic rivalry has misplaced its luster in recent years, due principally to Michigan’s mediocrity. But this recreation does have a long history of 1 staff ruining the other’s nationwide title hopes. The Wolverines may need a greater chance if they have been to go well with up their 1995 offensive line.
• Alabama at Auburn, Saturday (three:30 p.m. ET): As if these rivals wanted bigger stakes, this will be the first time in Iron Bowl historical past that the game will pit two high-4 groups. It’s a play-in to the SEC Championship Recreation. Expect another fascinating chess match between Saban and Gus Malzahn.
• Clemson at South Carolina, Saturday (7 p.m. ET): Each applications have loved unprecedented success in recent years, but the Gamecocks have owned this rivalry for the past four seasons. South Carolina has shut down Tajh Boyd previously, however its all-over-the-map offense might want to produce as properly.
Read The Original Article