- NBA Prediction Sunday Game Preview/Pick- Phoenix vs. Golden State
- NBA Prediction Sunday Preview/Pick- Indiana vs. Dallas
- NBA Prediction Friday Night Preview/Pick- Indiana vs. Houston
- NBA Prediction Friday Night Preview/Pick- Memphis vs. Chicago
- NBA Prediction Friday Night Preview/Pick- Portland vs. Dallas
- NBA Prediction Thursday Night Preview/Pick- Thunder vs. Suns
- NBA Prediction Friday Night Preview/Pick- Bulls vs. Mavericks
- NBA Prediction Friday Night Preview/Pick- Grizzlies vs. Thunder
- NBA Prediction Friday Night Preview/Pick- Spurs vs. Suns
- NBA Prediction Friday Night Preview/Pick- Clippers vs. Grizzlies
AU star Mason, too
- Updated: Jan 10, 2014
Tre Mason’s final run at Auburn was a record-setting touchdown.
Auburn Tigers running back Tre Mason became the latest underclassmen to announce he will forgo his senior season and declare for the 2014 NFL Draft.
The 5-foot-9, 205-pound junior is the No. 2 running back and No. 49 overall prospect this year, according to NFLDraftScout. com ratings. He is currently projected as a second round prospect rated behind only Arizona junior Ka’Deem Carey (No. 42 overall) among running backs.
Mason is shorter than ideal, but makes up for it with a powerful lower body. He is a decisive one-cut runner who attacks the hole and shows vision to set up his blocks. With a pair of massive performances in the SEC Championship Game and the BCS title game to close out his career, Mason could rise up draft boards quickly if he runs well in pre-draft workouts. He is currently believed to run the 40-yard dash in the 4. 5-second range.
Mason broke Bo Jackson’s single-season rushing record on his last carry at Auburn in Monday’s BCS title game loss to Florida State, led the SEC in rushing and was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy.
“After all the thought, talking to family and friends, I talked to my mom and dad, went over it a lot with them, ” Mason said. “I’m going to declare for the 2014 NFL Draft. “
“I just came in here wanting to be the best, ” Mason said. “Breaking Bo Jackson’s record was a goal of mine from the time the season started, and I believe God blessed me with the opportunity to do that. “
Mason leaves Auburn after rushing for more than a 1, 000 yards each of the past two seasons, including his 1, 816 yards this season, a mark that broke Jackson’s record of 1, 786 yards set in 1983.
Mason is the second Auburn player to announce he is leaving early for the NFL. Offensive tackle Greg Robinson said Tuesday he will enter the draft.
Auburn is now projected to lose three offensive starters – Mason, Robinson and senior fullback Jay Prosch – from an unit that led the nation in rushing and broke school records for total offense, rushing offense, rushing attempts and plays from scrimmage. All of them helped Auburn finish with a 12-2 record and a No. 2 national ranking after losing to Florida State 34-31 in Monday night’s BCS title game.
Mason rushed for 195 yards Monday, including a 37-yard touchdown run late in the game that broke Jackson’s record.
More Draft: NFL Mock Drafts | Prospect Rankings | Latest news | Underclassmen