- NBA Prediction Thursday Night Preview/Pick- Thunder vs. Suns
- NBA Prediction Friday Night Preview/Pick- Bulls vs. Mavericks
- NBA Prediction Friday Night Preview/Pick- Grizzlies vs. Thunder
- NBA Prediction Friday Night Preview/Pick- Spurs vs. Suns
- NBA Prediction Friday Night Preview/Pick- Clippers vs. Grizzlies
- NBA Prediction Thursday Night Preview/Pick- Heat vs. Thunder
- NBA Prediction Wednesday Night Preview/Pick- Rockets vs. Lakers
- NBA Prediction Tuesday Night Preview/Pick- Miami vs. Phoenix
- Beckham asks PSG for MLS funding – report
- Mayor wants Super Bowl, NFL Draft for Chicago
Leafs, captain Phaneuf reach 7-year extension
- Updated: Jan 1, 2014
The Toronto Maple Leafs have locked up their captain Dion Phaneuf with an extended-time period contract extension, the workforce introduced at present. Phaneuf has signed a seven-12 months deal, which was beforehand reported to be within the range of $7 million per season.
The #Leafs have signed Dion Phaneuf to a seven-year contract extension: #PhaneufSigned pic.twitter.com/4gYEXHpl8u
— Toronto Maple Leafs (@MapleLeafs) December 31, 2013
On the latest episode of HBO's 24/7 series that includes the Maple Leafs, assistant general supervisor Claude Loiselle shared with the producers the significance of locking up Phaneuf long-term in an effort to transfer forward as a company.
“Dion is our captain, he's a cornerstone for our organization, he plays the most minutes on our staff and plays in opposition to the most effective gamers on the other crew,” Loiselle defined. “So it's essential to have him signed for an extended time period so that we can proceed the development that we're on.”
Loiselle also talked in regards to the importance of signing players to offers that depart salary cap space as effectively.
When it comes to annual cap hit, with a reported $7 million annual average, Phaneuf is in the same range as Drew Doughty and Zdeno Chara, and forward of guys like Erik Karlsson and Alex Pietrangelo. That is a pretty lofty group, however Phaneuf has change into vital to Toronto's plans for the future.
It's powerful to say he is among the elite defenders within the NHL, but he produces factors, performs a physical sport and logs incredibly tough minutes.
As the wage cap goes up, a wealthy group like Toronto may have the wiggle room to proceed to construct. In addition they have six gamers locked up with long-time period offers that might make up the staff's core.
Phaneuf and forward Phil Kessel are the workforce's two finest players they usually'll stay Maple Leafs for the foreseeable future. That's not unhealthy safety to have, assuming you can begin constructing a better workforce around them.